This is a great recipe to get you caught up with the kale production in your garden, and then you’ll be wishing you had planted more…the “cheesy” sauce is made up primarily of cashews and nutritional yeast, and contains no dairy whatsoever.
We like to sit down to a bowl of these when we have a movie night at home…and the baby gobbles them like they are m&ms, which she has incidentally never tried…Hooray for sneaky moms that get their children to eat their leafy greens!!!
*I use a dehydrator to make my kale chips, alternatively (if you don’t have a dehydrator), spread kale pieces on parchment paper on baking trays, and bake at 200 degrees until crispy, about 40 minutes (but again, all that matters is that they MUST be crunchy).
Cheesy BBQ Kale Chips
1 bunch curly kale
3/4 cup cashews (soaked for a couple hours)
1/4 cup water
1 red bell pepper, deseeded
1 sun-dried tomato
Juice of half a lemon (2 tablespoons)
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
1 t smoked paprika powder
1 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
- Remove the toughest parts of the kale stems, and tear the leaves into bite-size pieces.
- Place kale pieces in a large bowl.
- To make the cheesy coating: combine soaked cashews, water, bell pepper, sundried tomato, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, smoked paprika, and sea salt in a blender or food processor.
- Add the cheesy coating to your bowl of kale and massage it in with your hands.
- For raw kale chips, my method of choice, as they will retain the nutrients and enzymes of all the healthful ingredients…place on dehydrator screens and dehydrate at 105 degrees for 8-10 hours or until crispy.